RE: Global resizing for grace notes dynamics

From: James Lowe
Subject: RE: Global resizing for grace notes dynamics
Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 11:40:15 +0000

Hello,

)-----Original Message-----
)From: address@hidden
)[mailto:address@hidden On
)Behalf Of Karim Barkati
)Sent: 28 May 2011 12:02
)To: address@hidden
)Subject: Global resizing for grace notes dynamics
)
)Hi list!
)
)I'm currently engraving a score using Lilypond, so first of all: thank you for
)your wonderful software!
)In this contemporary score, there are many grace notes with one dynamic
)per note, so that having smaller dynamics on grace notes would definitely
)make this score look better.
)Is there a way to specify globally a (smaller) size for grace notes dynamics?
)
)I wish Lily had something like this:
)\override Voice.graceDynamics #'size = #'smaller \grace{ a8\p [ gis8\mp ]}
)
)For the moment, I think I would have to specify the size for each grace
)note, right?
)\grace{
)    a8_\markup{\tiny \dynamic p}
)    [ gis8_\markup{\tiny \dynamic mp} ]}
)
)Best regards,
)
)- Karim Barkati

[James' reply:] You could define a global 'smallDynamicGrace' function in your
ly file so that you included a \once \override and make the dynamic smaller
that way so that every time you used \smallDynamicGrace it would use those
overrides (just the once for that note) which would do the same thing I expect.

See:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/learning/using-variables-for-tweaks

Also if you see here:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/notation/special-rhythmic-concerns#index-grace-notes-1

You can see that there is a refernce to 'installed files'

ly/grace-init.ly'

This contains some of the variables, so you could probably edit this file and
add an override here to change the dynamic side and this might be what you need
to do. You can see the acciaccatura override to get an idea of how to add this.

James