More alternate ending problems

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: More alternate ending problems
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2011 12:35:46 -0400

I'm working on trying to make alternate endings readable in unbarred
parts.  There's probably a bug report I should file, because they are
quite often ambiguous.  I'm attaching the file I'm working on -- before
I file the report I'll create a simpler test file, but you can see what
I mean.

My problem is with the volta bracket over the first alternative in the C
section:

JPEG image

The alternative begins at the B dotted whole note, but the bracket can
be read by the casual observer as also including the C quarter note.

For some other problems like this, I've been using the

    \once \override Staff.NoteHead #'X-extent = #'(-2 . 2)

trick, which works if you have a note without a stem that's on the
staff, but for a note with a stem on a ledger line is really hideous.
(The ledger line gets extended, *and* the stem doesn't attach to the
head.)

So I'm trying the other suggestion I got the last time I asked a
question like this