Re: trying to add a new \language

From: Ralf Mattes
Subject: Re: trying to add a new \language
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2011 17:09:04 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 13:55:59 -0700, -Eluze wrote:

> R. Mattes wrote:
>>
>> Sorry, but since I left my telepathic helmet at home there's no way for
>> me to know how myLanguage is supposed to look. That would be _your_ job
>> to fill in.
>>
> yes, i'm trying to do so - and as i said it's working when i add it in
> the note-names definitions file!
>

>>> and adding a
>>> closing bracket ")" - i tried in several places - i get errors:
>>
>> Obviously the wrong place. Add it at the end ...
>>
> now it compiles! also adding \language "myLanguage" does not produce any
> errors.
>
> but adding {ceses} gives the next error:
>
> Using `myLanguage' note names...
> test2.ly:9:2: error: syntax error, unexpected STRING
>
>   ceses
>
> what's wrong here? the full code is:
>
>   \version "2.15"
>   #(set! language-pitch-names
>     (cons `(myLanguage
>            ((ceses . ,(ly:make-pitch -1 0 DOUBLE-FLAT))))
>          language-pitch-names))
>   \language myLanguage
>   mus = {  ceses }

Most likely: the language needs to be put in quotes:

\language "myLanguage"

>> ??? Didn't you write:
>>
>>> for some experiments i want to add a new language - let's call it
>>> myLanguage.
>>
>> What's your question? How to program in Scheme?
>>
> not if i don't have to - the main question was how to add such
> definitions in a different file.

Better to put the langauge definition into a separate .ly-file and include it.
Production code should also check whether the language is already defined,
otherwise
language-pitch-names will grow.
Something like this (save it in a file called myLanguage.ly):

#(let ((new-lang
       `(myLanguage . ((ceses . ,(ly:make-pitch -1 0 DOUBLE-FLAT))))))

  (if (not (assoc 'myLanguage language-pitch-names))
      (set! language-pitch-names (cons  new-lang language-pitch-names))))

\language "myLanguage"

If you put this file somewhere where lilypond searches for includes and add
\inlcude "myLanguage.ly" to your file.

 HTH RalfD