Re: Adding line breaks within lyrics

From: Andrew C. Smith
Subject: Re: Adding line breaks within lyrics
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 14:00:46 -0400

Sorry, made more progress than I thought I would. My full explanation is below. Any simplifications (particularly ways to do away with the \markup \column redundancy) would be welcome.

Wrapping lyrics in LilyPond

Markup command:

#(define-markup-list-command (wrap-lyrics layout props line) (markup-list?)
#:properties ((line-width 40))
"Lyric wrapping"
(interpret-markup-list layout props
(make-override-lines-markup-list (cons 'line-width line-width)
(make-wordwrap-lines-markup-list line))))

and invocation:

\lyricmode {
\markup \column { \wrap-lyrics {these lyrics will be wrapped as if they all belong to the same syllable} }
}

There is also the possbiility of changing the line width (default is 40) using the following example (line-width changed to 20):

\markup \column { \override-lines #'(line-width . 20) \wrap-lyrics {these lyrics will be wrapped with a narrower line width} }