Re: Best Practices for Multiple Part Scores

From: Gilles Sadowski
Subject: Re: Best Practices for Multiple Part Scores
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2011 17:06:50 +0200

Hello.

> I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I've been having a heck
> of a time finding previous threads that go into any depth.  I see one
> from 2008 (revived in 2010) that references a part of the Learning
> Manual that seems to have moved from section 5 but doesn't really
> contain all that much information.
>
> I would like to set a large piece with multiple parts, with the option
> of producing single-part scores (e.g. an orchestral piece).  I have
> found that very quickly my source files get out of control.  What are
> the best practices I should be following to keep everything clean and
> D.R.Y.?
>
> I am specifically looking for advice on the following subjects:
> [...]

Several people have encoded extensive scores; there is a web site collecting
some of those works but I do not recall its address right now.

Personally, I have built my own set of template files, which I change
manually for each new encoding work.
This is certainly not as comprehensive or flexible as some of the
suggestions you'll get here, but I can send you my project files of a small
orchestral score, from which you could already extract an answer to several
of the points you mentioned.

Best regards,
Gilles