Re: lilypond-book download

From: Graham Breed
Subject: Re: lilypond-book download
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 23:26:28 +0100

Pablo Zumarán <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm having trouble understanding something. In Item 4 of
> "GNU Lilypond – Application Usage", under the heading
> "Integrating Text and Music", it explicitly says this
> "lilypond-book provides a way to automate this process:
> This program extracts snippets of music from your
> document, runs lilypond on them, and outputs the document
> with pictures substituted for the music." According to
> this, LilypondBook is a "program". I'm new to
> command-line usage, so that might be why this confuses
> me. Is it not a stadalone program?

Yes, lilypond-book is a program.  If you have it, it will
be in /usr/bin/lilypond-book

> I wish the Lilypond site had complete examples to study
> from, rather than just specific examples meant to be
> understood only by experienced command-line users who
> would know where to apply them. I have TeXMaker,
> TeXWorks, TeXLive, eMacs, GNUTeXmacs, have tried to get a
> pdf file with text and music from all of them without
> success. I've no idea, for instance, how to make TeXMaker
> understand a Lilypond command; or what program to use
> TexXInfo on, or even whether TeXInfo is itself a program.

If you're working with LaTeX, you need to run pdflatex on
the file that lilypond-book produces.  In Ubuntu, pdflatex
should come with TeXLive and be in /usr/bin/pdflatex

For Lilypond 2.12 (the one that comes with Ubuntu LTS) full
instructions are in the documentation.  The first example,
under Application Usage is in "4.1 An example of a
musicological document". If you don't have xpdf, replace
it with evince to view the resulting file.  If you don't
have lilypond-book or pdflatex, Ubuntu will tell you how to
install them.

If you aren't familiar with the command line, you'll need a
tutorial on that.  This is the first one that comes up with
Google:

http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Teaching/Unix/

By the end of Tutorial Three, you should know what you need
to follow the Lilypond documentation.

                     Graham