Cheat Sheet

From: Tim Roberts
Subject: Cheat Sheet
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 11:32:15 -0800

As I do more and more LilyPond data entry, I find the skill set development to be interesting.  I've become pretty quick at data entry now, including dynamics and articulation marks.  I've become pretty good at tweaking the output to get the effects I want.

The skill that is NOT developing, apparently, is the skill to keep the relative octaves straight.  Inevitably, my first test run ends up going diagonally straight off the page in one direction or other, with 20 or 30 ledger lines on each note.

Is there a simple mnemonic aid that can help me remember which part of a given token is the one that carries forward?  Individual notes are easy.  Within a chord is easy.  I believe that the first note of a chord then carries forward to the next token.  But in polyphony (with << >>), is it the last note that carries forward out of the polyphony?  Does the second part of a polyphonic set pick up from the end of the first part?

Yes, I can (and do) look this up, but if you have a quick mental rule, that would be a big help to me.
--
Tim Roberts, address@hidden
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.