Re: Cheat Sheet

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: Cheat Sheet
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 13:05:05 +0100

2011/11/8 Tim Roberts <address@hidden>:
> Is there a simple mnemonic aid that can help me remember which part of a
> given token is the one that carries forward?  Individual notes are easy.
> Within a chord is easy.  I believe that the first note of a chord then
> carries forward to the next token.  But in polyphony (with << >>), is it the
> last note that carries forward out of the polyphony?  Does the second part
> of a polyphonic set pick up from the end of the first part?

This shows it:

\score {
  \relative f {
    <<
      { c d e f g a b c d e f g a b c }
      { e f g a b c d e f g a b c d e }

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

'e' in second expression is relative to last 'c' in first expression.

But if you always use music from variables and no polyphony inside
them, there is no doubt you control all relativeness:

musicOne = \relative f  { c d e f g a b c d e f g a b c }
musicTwo = \relative f  { e f g a b c d e f g a b c d e }

\score {
  \relative f {
    <<
      \musicOne
      \musicTwo

This way you do not mix relative mode and polyphony.

--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org , www.csmbadajoz.com