Re: Frenching with pick-ups

From: Christopher R. Maden
Subject: Re: Frenching with pick-ups
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 15:52:08 -0500

On 11/13/2011 12:31 PM, Phil Holmes wrote:
> You only need \partial once.

Thanks for that tip.

> The final rests should be lower case, since they're not strictly
> Whole Measure:

Ah, but that’s the crux: if they are not whole-measure rests, then the
staff isn’t considered empty and is not removed.  I want three things,
that appear to be incompatible:

1) Staves with no notes to be removed.

2) Note-free measures to be displayed correctly, if in a non-removed staff.

3) No error or warning messages.

If I use whole-measure rests, staves are considered empty and are
removed, but (a) I get warnings, and (b) when displayed, partial
measures show as completely empty.  If I use partial-measure rests,
staves with them are not considered empty and are not removed.

I have compromised in my “Si Bheag, Si Mhor” score by using
whole-measure rests and accepting the warnings, then seeing where the
empty measures are not removed and changing those back to
partial-measure rests.  I feel like there should be a better way.

~Chris
“Be wary of great leaders.  Hope that there are many, many small
 leaders.” — Pete Seeger