Re: hideNotes in tablature

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: hideNotes in tablature
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 16:47:00 +0200

Am 14.04.2012 11:57, schrieb Federico Bruni:
Hi,

I started using version 2.13.56 and I realized that this bug seems fixed:

As hideNotes/unHideNotes work fine in TabStaff now, I'm thinking that it would be nice to add a TabNoteHead override/revert in their definitions in property-init.ly

Two years ago Marc expressed some concern about including TabNoteHead inside hideNotes/unHideNotes, because unHideNotes reverts the transparency of objects (such as stems and dots) that shouldn't be displayed in TabStaff:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2010-01/msg00634.html

I've made some tests and I think that there's no reason for such a concern. Everything looks fine to me (see the attached snippet).
Sure, I'm missing something :)
Ok, some quick tests I did seem to work fine.
I remember that the stem stubs appeared when reverting the transparency
of the TabNoteHead, but some patches according stems and the placement of
the tablature numbers have been applied since then, so probably some
side effects ofthese patches solved that problem, too.

(For those who want to check out more:
I have changed the length of the stems within tablature staves to zero
*and* I had to make the stems transparent, because otherwise a small
stem stub which covered the distance between the center and the border of the
fret number still appeared. Perhaps something concerning the layer of the
stem vs. the fret number?)

I believe that we don't need a specific command for hiding TabNoteHead.
I always use Staff and TabStaff: both should display (or hide) the same music, I can't imagine a situation where I'd like to hide a note in Staff and not in TabStaff.
Me neither.

What do you think about it?
Sounds great! If it works, we should change the default.

Regards,

Marc