Re: Proper Understanding of Y-extent sought

From: Frank Steinmetzger
Subject: Re: Proper Understanding of Y-extent sought
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 02:38:55 +0200

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 05:27:55PM +0200, Janek Warchoł wrote:

> > Actual question:
> > ---------------------------------------
> > So instead of hoping to find a snippet on the interwebs for each single case
> > and playing with the numbers without knowing why they behave as they do, I
> > would like to understand what they actually mean.  All the IR says about
> > Y-extent is "hardcoded extent in Y direction".
> >
> > So what exactly do those two numbers denote?
> > Is it minimum/maximum?  Extent below/above baseline?  Offset/size?
>
> Y-extent is vertical size of the object. […]  It's Y-extent is something
> like '(-2.5 . 4.5) meaning that it's bottom is 2.5 staffspace below that
> reference point and it's top is 4.5 ss above it.
> Y-offset is the distance between object's reference point and the reference
> point to which it is attached, and it doesn't have to be 0 by default.  […]

> > PS.: Is it correct that the stems of Elias’s tied halves are so long?

> Yes.
> However, after the cue notes end, the font-size is wrong (it's too small).

Hm?  The Solo part is supposed to be small.  This score contains only the
tenor staff of the choir parts.  As such, the solo inserts shall only be a
guide for the tenor’s entries.  After the solo, all size changes are reverted.

> hope this helps,
> Janek

Indeed, that was very helpful, thanks a lot.  I shall save this text in my own
docs+notes folder for later reference.  In fact, I would like to propose
adding this to the docs at some place, so others can find it, too.  I guess
the best place would be NR Appendix A.15, Layout properties → Y-extent.

PS.: “It's” is the short form of “it is”. ;-)
--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
Please do not use my email addresses within any Facebook service.

The problem with HTML/CSS jokes: everyone understands them differently.