String Bass Notation

From: Tim Roberts
Subject: String Bass Notation
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 10:08:02 -0700

Playing in the pit for Pirates of Penzance last night, the bass player pointed out an articulation mark in the string bass part that neither of us had seen before.  It was basically the Greek character "phi" -- a circle with a vertical line all the way through it.  It occurred several times.

This is a hand-drawn score.  I'm thinking that they probably meant snap pizzicato, and it was easier to draw the line all the way through than to stop part way through.  Snap pizzicato would fit in the context, and I have found no source that shows the exact "phi" symbol.  Have any of you string players seen that notation?
--
Tim Roberts, address@hidden
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.