Re: \RemoveEmptyStaffContext doesn't remove empty staff

From: Thomas Ruedas
Subject: Re: \RemoveEmptyStaffContext doesn't remove empty staff
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 03:17:19 +0200

Hi Kieren,
On 27/4/12 3:00 AM, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
I doubt that this new default behavior reflects common practice, though
As a pianist, I can tell you it absolutely does reflect common engraving
practice for piano staves: It is a very rare piano score (perhaps 1/10 of 1%)
that contains only a single staff. That is precisely the reason
Keep_alive_together_engraver was [fairly recently] added to Lilypond.
to avoid misunderstandings, my full statement was this:
I doubt that this new default behavior reflects common practice, though;
to me, it doesn't make much sense, and I'd like to suggest to the developers
(in case they read this) to reconsider this and keep empty staves only if
the total number of staffs would otherwise be one (or maybe not even then).
i.e., my main concern here is the situation where you may have more than two staves, which is a much more common situation. The case I wanted to make in the first place is to drop empty staves beyond the second staff, and in the piano scores I have (e.g. Debussy or Messiaen), it is done that way. As for the case of a single piano staff, you are right that it is very rare; I can only recall one instance in one of Messiaen's Vingt Regards sur l'Enfant Jésus (where it was actually printed as a single staff score for several lines).
Cheers,
Thomas