Re: Lilypond-book and TeXshop on Mac: Newbie questions

From: Dona Mommsen
Subject: Re: Lilypond-book and TeXshop on Mac: Newbie questions
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 11:13:25 +0200

Hi,

thanks to all who responded to my posts.

> One of the best way to use lilypond-book with TeXShop is to use a dedicated
> "engine". Nicola Vitacolonna, a lilypond and LaTeX user, made a very
> interesting one. You can find it here :
>
> http://users.dimi.uniud.it/~nicola.vitacolonna/home/content/lilypond-engines-texshop
> http://users.dimi.uniud.it/~nicola.vitacolonna/home/content/lilypond-engines-texshop
>

> Unfortunately, layout in snippets created by lilypond-book is not the best
> part of lilypond-book. Usually, I use lilypond-book snippets for 1 or 2
> lines scores. For more important scores, I include the pdf created by
> lilypond. For long scores, pdfpages is usefull
>
> Philippe

For the time being, Nicola Vitacolonna's engine(s) do(es) the trick for me.
Thanks a lot! Also thanks for the warning about snippets in lilypond-book.

Just one more thing I found out:
The engine(s) cannot handle special characters in the path names, even when
they do not appear in a relative path. I had a subfolder ./Exemples with the
Lilypond files, but the path further up contained french special characters, so
I ran into «file not found»  troubles.

> To your question -- also on a Mac 10.7.3 -- I am using a different
> approach, so won't be able to help you. (I use a makefile, which
> automatically executs only those commands that are needed because of
> some changes, but my setup is probably too involved and specialized to
> be easily transportable. I can let you know howto if you want to try
> your hand on using "make" and Makefile.)
>
> Rembrandt

Thanks for the offer Rembrandt. And yes please, just out of curiosity, I'd like
to know how you do this. I guess your makefile makes you less dependent on
changes to TexShop or Lilypond as bundled apps? BTW: How do you install
Lilypond? Do you use Fink?

Have a great time,

Dona

P.S: I'd like to apologize for the initial flood of messages, it actually took
several hours for my first post to get through, so I kept trying… Maybe adding
a little waring on the mailing list website would be helpful, like: «first
posts may take longer because they are moderated»