Re: Attaca markup

From: Paul Scott
Subject: Re: Attaca markup
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 18:13:36 -0700

On 08/29/2012 05:54 PM, David Rogers wrote:
On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 17:50:12 -0700
"Daniel E. Moctezuma"<address@hidden>  wrote:

Also, after an "attaca" indication should the bar numbers reset or
continue counting?
I take "attacca" to mean "Go straight on, even though it's a new piece".

Or new movement which is where I commonly see it.

Having the bar numbers continue would mean to me "This is not a new
piece".

So, to have "attacca" AND continuing bar numbers would look like a
contradiction to me.

Some music continues the rehearsal marks through the movements and could continue the bar numbers as well. In that case Attacca at the end of a movement makes sense.

Paul Scott

--
Librarian
Southern Arizona Symphony Orchestra