Re: lilyglyphs LaTeX package

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: lilyglyphs LaTeX package
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2012 19:52:35 +0200

Hi Reinhold,

thanks for these ideas.

Am 23.08.2012 16:03, schrieb Reinhold Kainhofer:
On 15/08/2012 17:34, Urs Liska wrote:
Since I need those glyphs (mainly the dynamics, but also accent etc.) in
a critical report myself, I took a look at the package.
Thanks

One thing I noticed is that to print dynamics and numbers, there is no
need to resolve to their unicode number. One can simply change the font
to emmentaler and then print the normal letters/digits.
Interestingly, this is an idea I had for myself last week, but couldn't verify without a computer (see the GitHub issues that I could comment from the mobile ...). So thank you for your examples.
In particular, I
would suggest:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

% Print some text in the emmentaler font. Works for the dynamic letters
and the digits:
\newcommand{\lilyText}[2][1.4]{{\fontspec[Scale=#1]{Emmentaler-11}{#2}}}

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
% Numbers and Dynamics %
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

\newcommand{\lilyNumber}[2][1.35]{\lilyText[#1]{#2}}

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You can then print any dynamics as e.g. \lilyText{sffpzm}. And the
definition of the dynamics can also be changed to use \lilyText instead
of printing each letter separately.

And, I'm missing a \lilyFP command for forte-piano (i.e. start the note
in forte, and then quickly go to piano, kind of like an accent, but not
as sharp), \lilyFZ, \lilyFFZ and \lilyPF (all of which are used in the
Schubert piece I'm currently editing).
Well, if you want push access to the repository, you could add these yourself. In the long run this is what I intend anyway. But first there should be decisions about the general issues (that affect syntax).
I'll soon start upon this ...

Time signatures (fractions) can be easily produced by
\lilyTimeSignature{3}{4} using the following definition:

% general \time n/m command (prints time signature as a fraction in
emmentaler font)
\newcommand*{\lilyTimeSignature}[3][0.9]{$\frac{\mbox{\lilyText[#1]{#2}}}{\mbox{\lilyText[#1]{#3}}}$}
Well, I didn't have a computer the last two weeks, but read some texts about latex. And what you suggest is about what I thought about also recently ;-)
Since the plus sign is also directly accessible you can even write
    \lilyTimeSignature{3+7}{4}
easily.

I won't immediately incorporate it though because there has to be some more thinking about the parametrization of scaling and placing. I'd like to put these things right (as well as the option to integrate a plain latex solution) before adding anything new.

BTW, the installation of the font was really as simple as you describe:
1) Copy the emmentaler-*.otf files to ~/.fonts
2) run fc-cache
Nice, but there is also one more thing to check:
fontspec is smart enough to select the correct optical sizes for optical font families from Adobe (so if I write \scriptsize I automatically find the 'XX caption' font in the PDF). It would be nice if this worked for Emmentaler also, and if it does one should include all the font files instead of only one.

As mentioned I'll soon get back to this package ...

Best
Urs

Cheers,
Reinhold