Re: Time signature in TabStaff

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Time signature in TabStaff
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 16:27:21 +0200

Peter Crighton <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> when having included \tabFullNotation in a TabStaff, the time
> signature is not centered vertically with an even number of lines in
> the staff. This is because a time signature is anchored at a line, not
> the space between lines. Is there any way to change this behaviour and
> have the time signature centered?
>

> \version "2.15.41"
>
> \new TabStaff {
>   \tabFullNotation
>   R1
> }

Cf <URL:http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=2783>.  This
will be fixed in 2.17.2, and I plan a backport into 2.16.1 as well.  If
you take a look at the length and breadth of the discussion on this
issue as well as the parent issues, you'll see that a lot of work is
going into assuring the best experience possible when using LilyPond.
In this particular case, it took several iterations to get this right,
but I believe that the time signature has not been centered in
four/six-string tablatures for a _long_ time by now (like, since 2002 or
so).  You can for now use something like

\override Staff.TimeSignature #'Y-offset = -2

as a temporary fix, but don't forget to remove it when upgrading to
2.17.2 or 2.16.1.

--
David Kastrup