Re: F-flat Key Signature

From: David Rogers
Subject: Re: F-flat Key Signature
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 14:37:50 -0700

Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

> But F flat _is_ different from E, especially in its relationship to
> other, 'normal' keys. F flat has a quite simple relation to G flat
> that might happen in real music. So I'm happy that LilyPond offers to
> explicitely write it down instead of refusing to do things, _she_
> considers useless. Even if I'd probably never use it ...

I don't think Lilypond should have its behaviour changed at all over
this issue. I think the composer simply needs to change his mind about
printing in F-flat major. I know he has composed in F-flat major, and I
do NOT think he needs to change the composition itself - but I think
compromising the printed copy by showing it in E major is the (not
strictly correct but far more practical) way to ask the musicians to
play the composition.

--
David