Problem with a specific font in header markup

From: Jim Long
Subject: Problem with a specific font in header markup
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 21:34:31 -0700

I'm trying to print a sample of a text font I found named
JazzText.  I can't seem to make it work.  I can make another font
work, called Air Conditioner.  I can make the JazzText font
work in Scribus, and create a PDF that renders as expected.
But the Lilypond PDF using JazzText substitutes a sans-serif
font where the JazzText font should be.

Detail:

\version "2.16.0"

\header {
  title = \markup { \override #'(font-name . "Air Conditioner") "This is my
header" }
} % header

\score {
  \relative c {
    <d' f c'>4 <d' f c'>4 q q
    \break
    \set Staff.explicitClefVisibility = #end-of-line-invisible
    \clef bass
    \unset Staff.explicitClefVisibility
    q2 q q q
    \break
  } % relative
} % score

I should explain that I use a fast(er) machine to run lilypond,
and use my slow laptop to view the PDF files.

fc-list shows both fonts available on both machines:

The fast machine (the Lilypond/PDF creator), running fontconfig-2.9.0:

$ fc-list | egrep "Jazz|Conditioner"
/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/JAZZTEXT.TTF: JazzText:style=Regular
/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/AIRCONDI.TTF: Air Conditioner:style=Regular

Lilypond agrees that these fonts are available:

$ lilypond -dshow-available-fonts x 2>&1 | egrep "Jazz|Conditioner"
family JazzText
 JazzText:style=Regular
family Air Conditioner
 Air Conditioner:style=Regular

The PDF viewer, running fontconfig-2.8.0_1:
$ fc-list | egrep "Jazz|Conditioner"
JazzText:style=Regular
Air Conditioner:style=Regular

The md5 hash of the .TTF font file matches between the two machines.
Both machines have the font file in the same directory.

I created a test document in Scribus on the PDF-viewer laptop and
was able to use the JazzText font for a simple "Quick brown fox"
test.  I created a PDF from Scribus and the JazzText font appears
in the PDF viewer (xpdf).

The above test.ly file creates the expected output for the "Air
Conditioner" font.  But if I replace "Air Conditioner" with
"JazzText" the PDF viewer doesn't render the header in the the
expected font.

The PDF created by Lilypond appears to reference the correct
font:

$ hexdump -C test.pdf | grep -1 Jazz
00004620  79 70 65 2f 46 6f 6e 74  44 65 73 63 72 69 70 74  |ype/FontDescript|
00004630  6f 72 2f 46 6f 6e 74 4e  61 6d 65 2f 4a 61 7a 7a  |or/FontName/Jazz|
00004640  54 65 78 74 2d 52 65 67  75 6c 61 72 2f 46 6f 6e  |Text-Regular/Fon|

But xpdf displays the PDF with a non-descript sans serif font
substituted in the header.

What can I do next to troubleshoot this?

Thank you!