Re: AW: piano music with lilypond

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: AW: piano music with lilypond
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 13:46:49 +0200

<address@hidden> writes:

> piano music with lilypond
>
> Hi Mike,
>
> Thanks for your feedback. First i have to repeat one thing i already
> mentioned in my first mail. I know that some of these things are
> doable with lilypond, the problem is more the effort or the requested
> know how for implementation. And … all the developers of lilypond did
> a tremendous job J
>
> I would be glad to contribute to development on lilypond, but … as far
> as I read in the documentation lilypond is almost entirely written in
> scheme ( a lisp derivate to best of my knowledge .. I do not have any
> glue on lisp ;-)). But if those modules you mentioned for opening for
> override are C++, I could do programming J.

They are compiled using a C++ compiler.  You'll figure out that this is
not exactly the same as being "C++".  The Scheme parts of LilyPond bear
more resemblance to Scheme than the C++ parts do to C++, so one tends to
see a bit more of what the programmer was doing rather than what he was
fighting.

I did not work with Scheme before using LilyPond, and I have a history
of C and C++ programming good enough to isolate compiler bugs.  I would
strongly suggest at least reading the Scheme tutorial of LilyPond's
extension guide to get a bit of a hang of Scheme before indulging with
the C++ parts, or you will have problems making suitable interface
choices.  The user-level programming interface _is_ Scheme.  C++ is just
the low-level implementation language.

--
David Kastrup