Re: Excessive type-strictness?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Excessive type-strictness?
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 18:38:35 +0200

James Harkins <address@hidden> writes:

> In lilypond 2.15.36, I just hit an issue where this override caused
> lilypond to exit with code 1.

Exit 1 is a regular error, so you should have seen an error message.

> \once \override NoteColumn #'force-hshift = #1
>
> Changing it to this allowed compilation to succeed:
>
> \once \override NoteColumn #'force-hshift = #1.0
>
> I tried to make a MCE but both overrides worked in that context.

I have taken a thorough look at the code using the shift, and there is
nothing looking suspicious.

I suspect you may have had something like a \version string mismatch, or
some misspelling, like l or I instead of 1, or a non-breaking space ( )
somewhere where it does not belong.

> I just wanted to ask if anyone else had seen anything like this. For
> the bug squad folks and David: I do not intend this as a complete bug
> report; please do not chastise me for failing to include a tiny
> example or whatnot. I'm only asking for others' experiences at this
> point.

Not likely anything of any relevance to you.

--
David Kastrup