Re: a lot of accidentals. how do I notate them?

From: Roland Goretzki
Subject: Re: a lot of accidentals. how do I notate them?
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2013 07:40:53 +0100

Hello list, hello Sarah,

You wrote:
> Ok. I had to get rid of some a naturals that it thought  were errors.
> when I play c minor scale on the piano I often use a flat not a
> natural.I think this was what might have been tripping me up. I'll
> have to listen to this and see. No pun intended. lol!

For a beginner it is a lot of work, I think, but we should give it a
chance! :-)

> d4 e! g4. f8 e

Assuming
    You're using english.ly
    and You've set \key c \minor,
this simply has to be:
    d e g8. f16 ef4
Then no further thinking about accidentals is needed.
The notes You have to write, must only give the pitch.

And, very important, as Urs pointed out:
"first of all you definitely should get your rhythms right, it's
always 4 4 8. 16 4 and not 4 4 4. 8 4"
That's for the violins, not for viola, cello and bass.

Otherwise it wouldn't correspond with par example the cello or bass,
which both of them have only quarter notes.

I've attached a not too long .ly-file with the structure of all,
containing all instruments:

    1. violin about four bars
    2. violin about two bars
    viola, cello and bass, each of them about one bar.

At the end of the file You'll find six bookparts, one for the whole
Score, containing all instruments, the other five for the five
instruments.

Compiling the .ly-file (with or without finishing the seperate
instruments) will result in creating six .pdf's:

    chop-op_28_20-1.pdf         1. violin
    chop-op_28_20-2.pdf         1. violin
    chop-op_28_20-3.pdf         viola
    chop-op_28_20-4.pdf         cello
    chop-op_28_20-5.pdf         bass
    chop-op_28_20.pdf           the whole score

You can take this as a starting point, writing the rest of the notes for
each instrument. The instrument parts, which You have to finish, begin
in the file at line 29 and end at line 51.
Good luck! :-)

Best Regards           Roland