Re: Bar lines

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Bar lines
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 17:47:45 +0100

Hi all,

i was very surprised by Marc's suggestion to revert his barline
interface commit.  I'm pretty sure that everyone regards Marc's (and
Harm's) work in this area as very valuable and noone thinks of
deleting it at all!

What I see are two issues:

a) should we change the character that produces thick barline from .
to something else?  Personally i've never liked this design choice, so
i'd be interested in making a simple poll on users- list with various
options including . I = B U O 0 1 or whatever else may be reasonable.
Note that this issue is completely independent from Marc's new bar
line interface.

b) should we define aliases for repeat barlines?  I.e. make \bar ":|"
a shorthand for \bar ":|." for the sake of user friendliness.  My
opinion is as follows: if repeat barlines "|:" ":|" (only dots and
thin line, no thick line at all) aren't used in engraving practice
(and i guess they aren't), lets make such an alias and mention it in
the docs.   User can always override it.

best,
Janek