Re: Pseudo-handwritten font

From: Klaus Föhl
Subject: Re: Pseudo-handwritten font
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 13:45:53 +0000 (UTC)

Jan Nieuwenhuizen writes:

> I put quite some effort in supporting Gonville as an external
> font, as at the time it took 5+ hours to build it and we did
> not want to ship a font binary-only.

Which is very much appreciated. As a user on Linux I do indeed change
between feta and gonville, easy enough in changing one symbolic link.
The downside is that lilypond output no longer solely depends on the input file.

> If/after we get this in, possibly we should look into Gonville too
> and we would have three different looks.  Game changer indeed!

Changing text font looks a wee bit ugly in the code, but then one can do it
within the ly file itself. The problem there is choice, looking at the
intersection of text fonts available on Linux, Mac and Windows and then
be able to select something aesthetically pleasing from the meager set.

But varying appearance, be it text font, be it music font, does help sometimes.
Indeed.

Cheers
Klaus