Re: Proposed new available and recommended behavior of \relative

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Proposed new available and recommended behavior of \relative
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 15:22:12 +0100

Paul Morris <address@hidden> writes:

>> b) should convert-ly make user code walk through that door once?
>
> Hmmm...  If people have been using an explicit reference pitch,
> nothing changes in that case.

The proposed convert-ly rule of issue 2329 converts everything it can
interpret (which is the majority) to argumentless \relative.  This
conversion is needed for converting the LilyPond code base, and it
should be available to the user as well.  It should likely not be
applied without notice as it affects work style.

There was one other major convert-ly rule doing an actually optional
conversion:
    \override Context.Grob #'property #'sub = #5
into
    \override Context.Grob.property.sub = #5
I think that doing this without asking was ok since it did not really
affect meaningful choices taken by the user.

For better or worse, the choice of a reference pitch, even though it was
a choice forced on the user, will likely have been taken with some
deliberation, likely reflecting personal style and/or preferences.
Throwing it away without asking would likely be impolite.

Issue 2331 only converts \relative without reference pitch to \relative
c'.

--
David Kastrup