Re: \relative proposal: putting absolute pitches anywhere within \relati

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: \relative proposal: putting absolute pitches anywhere within \relative block using @-sign
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 20:42:02 +0100

Am 13.03.2013 20:24, schrieb address@hidden:
This is a breakaway thread from the one with the subject "Proposed new available and
recommended behavior of \relative"

I am *OPPOSED* to the proposal to change \relative syntax, as the proposal now
stands.  I think it is confusing to new users to have the first pitch in a
\relative block be absolute and the rest be relative.

But I have another idea.  I'm not sure if people will like it right away
because it means changing/adding MORE syntax, but I think it will be MORE
useful and more *intuitive*!

Here's the idea.

1. Define absolute octave syntax with the @-sign (let it be a mnemonic for
_A_bsolute) to be the syntax for temporarily specifying an ABSOLUTE PITCH
within a \relative block, such that the next pitch, if it doesn't use the
@-sign also, is relative to the absolute pitch.

2. Keep \relative X { ... } working the same way as it is (DON'T make
convert-ly change it around).

3. Make \relative { X ... } work such the first pitch after the brace is
expected to be an absolute pitch syntax with the single equal sign.  If it is
not, a warning is printed and the pitch is interpreted as relative to c' (the
current behavior, except for the warning, right?).

Why a new syntax?  I frequently find that if I jump to the end of a big, long
\relative { ... }, then frequently I don't remember which octave I'm in.
Octave check is not a solution, because if I guess the part that comes before
the = sign wrong, I'll keep getting warnings until I fix it.  What is wanted is
a way to temporarily jump into absolute note entry mode.  An @-sign comes
immediately after the note name, and is followed by any apostrophes or commas
as necessary to specify the absolute octave.

IMHO it would be more readable to define an \absolute command for that
specific purpose:

Instead of { c4 c' c@'' c@, } you'd have
\relative { c4 c' \absolute { c'' c' } }
or even
\relative { c4 c' \absolute { c'' } c, }

This seems to be more readable, especially if you use it at the
beginning or the end of a block.

On the other hand, you could split your big, long \relative { ... }
into smaller \relative blocks, and *if* the first entry is seen as
absolute, you don't need any \absolute or @ within the block at all.

Just my 2 ct

Marc