Re: Re: R shorthand

From: Evan Driscoll
Subject: Re: Re: R shorthand
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 22:12:51 -0500

On 03/19/2013 04:21 PM, Shane Brandes wrote:
I see now, but one would think that might cause more difficult
programming necessitating the keeping tracking of various R values
through out the piece as defined by a time signature as opposed to us
setting the value, which probably would also slow down lilypond having
to parse and hang on to that extra undeclared information. Of course
maybe i am wrong on that. But I do believe making sure the user is
forced to think out the value of R duration is probably more useful
than any minimal convenience, especially as Joram points out that
would make r and R functionality divergent.
FWIW the multimeasure rest syntax has been a bit of an annoyance with what I've been working on recently (Mars). Not only do I have to type something like R1*5/4*8 instead of just R*8 (the syntax someone else proposed and which I too thought of), but because I've forgotten about a time change when typing the duration. And thus entered, e.g. R1*5/4*8 instead of R1*5/2*8. The *really* annoying part of that particular mistake is that R1*5/4*8 is actually valid: it gives a 4-measure rest in 5/2. It took a fair bit of head scratching to figure out why Lilypond was getting the duration of the rest "wrong" the first time I made that mistake. And I *still* make that mistake with some frequency -- I'm just faster at spotting the cause of the bad output now.

To me it's quite counter-intuitive that a "full measure rest" can mark any durations other than a multiple of a full measure, even if it does sometimes produce a warning if you do something wrong, and the proposed suggestion is a significant local improvement.

Evan