Re: Segmentation fault with 2.17.14

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Segmentation fault with 2.17.14
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 09:46:25 +0100

"Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> writes:

> Paul Scott wrote Wednesday, March 20, 2013 7:56 AM
>

>>I get segmentation faults with 2.17.14 on a medium to large set of files
>> which compile fine with 2.17.13.  I have gotten these errors with
>> some other
>> recent 2.17.xx versions.  I don't believe I will get errors with a
>> minimal
>> example.
>>
>> What evidence can I provide that might help find the problem?
>
> Well, start removing things from your code until the error goes away.
> Start with large sections.  Put back what you have just removed and
> continue removing other things or smaller pieces.  When there is nothing
> left that can be removed without also removing the error you have a
> minimal example.
>
> The chances are in carrying out this process that you will discover
> what is causing the problem.  Tell us what it is.

That's more or less cut&paste from the instructions for a minimal
example.  There is no guarantee that the code removed along with the
segfault is responsible for the segfault.  But there is a good chance
that you have arrived at a version where the segfault is easier to
diagnose, because we'll be searching for the needle in a quite smaller
haystack.

--
David Kastrup