Re: Suggestions for participating institutions?

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Suggestions for participating institutions?
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 11:52:59 +0100

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 9:52 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I met a former colleague in the bus to Chemnitz, and he is at least
> knowledgeable about EU research programmes.  Do people here have ideas
> about possible institutions who could be made to participate?  I think

Take in mind that EU research programmes come with an incredible
amount of burocracy and require both academic and industry partners,
the more the merrier. The projects that get funded are buzzword
compliant, but often nobody knows what they set out to do, except
divert EU money into the partnering institutions. Have a look at

  http://www.axmedis.org/com/

for an example.

Back in the day (around 2003), we have tried to do something with
lilypond together with the people that did
http://fsfe.org/campaigns/agnula/agnula.en.html, but we never managed
to pull it off. After AGNULA, there was a new framework (FP6) for
research programs, which was more focused on large businesses, which
made our project proposal even more problematic. I don't know what FP7
looks lke, but you should definitely talk to people involved with EU
programs now to know what you're getting into.