Re: Lilypond \include statements and the GPL

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: Lilypond \include statements and the GPL
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 20:02:07 -0400

On 03/29/2013 05:39 PM, Urs Liska wrote:
<large snip/>
Now take a programming language as another example (PHP and Python are
explicitely _not_ distributed under the GPL BTW).
The interpreter is GPLed by group A, as well as some libraries.
User B writes a program in that language. This program is considered a 'user
document', and the GPL doesn't affect it - User B can publish the program in
any way he likes, with or without source code.
User C writes a program, but uses functions from the GPLed libraries. That
forces him to release his program under the GPL too.
<large snip/>

Uh, wait a second.  As most people, IANAL, but to my understanding:

User B is allowed to give away the source code in any form, and the binary under non-GPL code /if and only if/ it does not come with parts of group A's libraries compiled in. If, e.g., inline function calls are replaced by library code, or a library is statically linked into the binary, I would assume this enforces GPL to the binary. And this is exactly what will happen in practice, if e.g. the stdlibs were GPL'ed.

On the other hand, user C /should/ be allowed to distribute source code under whatever license he wants to /as long as he doesn't ship the GPL libraries with it./ It's useless without them, but anybody who wants to run or compile the code is free to download the necessary GPL'ed stuff. However, even user C may freely without any constraints give away the /output/ of the program he has written and compiled.

Translated to LilyPond, IMHO this means:

- A user may give away his .ly file, if he did not copy-paste from Lily's source files. Importing standard .ly's is okay (like \include "english.ly"), as long as the english.ly is not shipped with the user's file. - A user may give away the PDF/PNG/PS/Inkscape-handtuned SVG/MIDI, since it is the output of his "program" written in the "LilyPond language". The PDF/... does not contain any GPL'ed stuff in it - in particular, no LilyPond code. Very similar to the situation that I can distribute a text document (or even a .ly file) I've written using the GPL'ed Emacs, unless I quote part of Emacs' source code in there. (I agree with Tim.) @Joseph: I can see no difference in \include'ing a LilyPond file and calling a bash built-in function in a shell script, just because one is explicit and the other isn't. Again, unless you ship bash along with it.

Or am I totally wrong here?

Best,
Alexander