Re: tie between voice & transpose a to g

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: tie between voice & transpose a to g
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 04:23:50 +0000 (UTC)

> 2013/4/11 MING TSANG <tsang94 <at> rogers.com>:
> > I have a hard time coding cross voice tie.
> > I end up of splitting the chord into two voices.

That is the way to think of the music in LilyPond's terms.  The tied note
is written with two notes, but is one sound and logically stays in one
voice.  The voices have different rhythms for a while, but then the join
to form a single chord.

Thomas Morley <thomasmorley65 <at> googlemail.com> writes:
> [...]
> Though, I really hope someone comes up with a better solution.

That seems to work just fine.  What could be better?

You can struggle a bit less if you leave out the \voiceTwo, etc.
These set all the styles that help us distinguish an upper from lower
voice, but in this example of (probably) piano music, we don't have
that distinction so we do not want the styles.  The tied note D exists
in only one of the two voices.

\version "2.16.2"
{ \clef bass
  << {
    < a f' >1~
    < a f'>2 }
  \new Voice {
    \shiftOn
    e'4 d'2.~
    \once\override NoteColumn #'ignore-collision = ##t
    d'2
  } >>
  r2 }