Re: new snippet: combine multimeasure rests

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: new snippet: combine multimeasure rests
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 07:50:21 +0200

Shevek <address@hidden> writes:

> I just finished writing my first Scheme extension for Lilypond! It is a
> function to take a sequential music expression and condense consecutive
> multimeasure rests into a single multimeasure rest. Since this is my first
> attempt at Scheme, I'd love suggestions on how to improve it. One thing I'd
> like is to make this something that can be turned on with a single line in a
> layout block, instead of a function that needs to be included with every
> staff or voice.
>
> % \version "2.14.2"
> \version "2.16.0"
>
> #(define (add-durations dur1 dur2) (ly:duration? ly:duration?)

It is amusing that this works.  define does not take type specifications
for its arguments, as opposed to define-music-function and
define-scheme-function.  What happens is that (ly:duration?
ly:duration?) is called as the first statement in the function.  It
checks whether ly:duration? is a duration and returns #f since it is
actually a function instead.

You do this several times.  I'll look at the rest later.

--
David Kastrup