Re: slur across bar

From: James Harkins
Subject: Re: slur across bar
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 01:36:17 +0000 (UTC)

> \version "2.16.2"
>
> { \key des \major
>   \time 4/4
>    bes2-3 a4~ a8. bes16 |
> aes8.  bes16 ( aes16. ) bes32 ( aes16. ) bes32
> \set tupletSpannerDuration = #(ly:make-moment 1 8)
> \times 2/3 { g16-1 [ bes-3 ees' ] g [ bes ees' ] bes-2 [ d'-4 f' ] d'-1 [ f'
aes'-4 ] }
> }
>
> When I the put  aes8. in parenthesis, i.e., ( aes8. ), the error code
"unexpected '(' " comes up and the complying exists.

> What is my error?
>

> Your error is the space between the notes and the parentheses.  Try
>
>      bes16( aes16.)

No... Spaces are certainly allowed before a slur-opening paren. I use them
routinely: c ( d e f ) is perfectly legal.

What is not allowed, AFAICS, is to mix and match modifier symbols that belong
to the note (~ tie, () slur, [] beaming, others?) and symbols that don't
belong to a note, such as the | bar check here.

Here's another example:

% ok
\times 2/3 { c8 [ d e ( ] } f4 )

% maybe also ok, not at my computer to check
\times 2/3 { c8 [ d e ] ( } f4 )

% definitely not ok
\times 2/3 { c8 [ d e ] } ( f4 )

That is, the ( belongs to the e, not the f, so the closing curly brace must
not come between e and (. I *think* the ] may come between e and (, because
the ] also belongs to e -- ( and ] are at the same syntactic level here.

hjh