Re: Moving slur after \hideNotes

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Moving slur after \hideNotes
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2013 10:07:49 +0200

Am 08.07.2013 01:32, schrieb John Kliewe:
This looks almost right.  It's from Chopin Nocturne Op9 no 3 :

\version "2.16.0"

\relative c'
{ \clef treble
  \time 6/8
  \key b \major
ais'4 gis8 << {\hideNotes gis'4.~\>\(
gis16 fis eis dis cisis dis\! e eis\) gisis,\( ais \times 2/3
%%\override TupletNumber #'stencil = ##f
{\unHideNotes b16\accent[ s ais]}
\hideNotes \stemDown s4. fis4\) fis16 eis} \\ {gis'4.
gis16 fis eis dis cisis dis e eis gisis, ais \times 2/3 {b16 eis, ais}
\unHideNotes \stemUp gis4.\accent fis4}>>
}

The slur starting on the g# is much too high.  I can see why this is by un-hiding the upper voice notes.  But is there a way to bring that slur line down?

In general: As you have already noticed \hideNotes actually makes the notes white, so they aren't visible but fully take part in the layout process. In cases similar to yours you would have to make the NoteHead transparent and
 set the stencil of any other relevant objects to ##f which means the corresponding object isn't printed at all.

I wrote a shorthand for hiding a helper voice used for cross voice ties:

hideVoiceForTie = {
  \once \override NoteHead #'transparent = ##t
  \once \override Stem #'stencil = ##f
  \once \override Dots #'stencil = ##f
  \once \override Beam #'stencil = ##f
  \once \override Flag #'stencil = ##f
  \once \override NoteColumn #'ignore-collision = ##t
}

which can be used for that purpose. The last command suppresses the warning you can get.

I also wonder if my approach is correct at all.
Actually I don't think so.
Does it make sense to treat those two bar-up sixteenth notes as a separate voice?
That's correct, you need a temporary polyphonic construct. But you shouldn't duplicate the whole phrase, there is no reason for that (besides, that's what causes your other problem in the first place).
Just write the phrase as one and only enter polyphonic mode for the triplet

Also, I don't want to see the "3" both over and under the triplet.  But look at what happens if I use the \override that appears in the comment.  It removes the number "3" but also miscalculates the notes within the triplet.
This is because you wrote the override _inside_ the \times { }. Place it before \times and it's alright.

\version "2.16.0"
\relative c'{
  \clef treble
  \time 6/8
  \key b \major
  ais'4 gis8 gis'4.~\>\( |
  gis16 fis eis dis cisis dis\! e eis\) gisis,\( ais
  <<
    {
      \once \override TupletNumber #'stencil = ##f
      \times 2/3 {
        b16\accent[ s ais]
    \\
    {
      \times 2/3 {
        {
          b16 eis, ais

  gis4. fis4\) fis16 eis
}

Will give you what you need. Of course you still have to shape the phrasing slur quite strongly. Be sure to look up \shape for that.

HTH
Urs

--John K