Re: Flat flags

From: Gilberto Agostinho
Subject: Re: Flat flags
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2013 01:00:20 +0200

Hi Harm,

Thank you so much for this code. I realize now that it was not your flat-flag code that wasn't matching the old and modern-straight-flags, but actually it was the notes using \set stemLeftBeamCount x[] that were not matching them! Now I see that by using \set stemLeftBeamCount, the flags behave just like beams that were "cut" in half, and the position of beams are slightly differently than the normal flags. Thus I do not think it is necessary to play around with the stem length values. So thank you once again for all your help.

Best regards,
Gilberto

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 11:37 PM, Thomas Morley <address@hidden> wrote:
2013/10/1 Gilberto Agostinho <address@hidden>:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> Thank you so much for your help! Indeed this is very close to what I am
> looking for, but there is a small catch: your code does not provide a result
> identical to the \set stemLeftBeamCount = #0 note[]. The flags' position are
> not matching the staff lines (look at the picture attached where all will be
> cleared).

Hi Gilberto,

ofcourse your observations are correct.

LilyPond's treating of flagged and beamed stems is different and
results in different stem-lengths.
Therefore I doubt that a new defined flag ever matches the behaviour
of a modified beam.

My coding of flat-flags matches exactly the way how
old/modern-straight-flags are build.
(A little fine-tuning might still be necessary.)

You could try to adjust Stem.details-length to equal the behaviour of
beamed/flagged stems, though, I doubt you'll find a generalized
sollution.

Attached you'll find the code again.
Including some fine-tuning of flat-flag and a test-routine for some use-cases.
(Note the different lengths for flagged and beamed stems in some cases.)
For better viewing/comparing I played around with 'color and 'layer.
I also added the default-values for Stem.details.lengths and
Stem.details.beamed-lengths in case you really want to alter them.

HTH,
  Harm