Problem with temporary polyphony

From: Peter Toye
Subject: Problem with temporary polyphony
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2013 16:34:46 +0100

Still a newbie here, I'm afraid. I'm trying to add a temporary extra voice to what is normally two-part polyphony using the << \\ >> notation. And it gives an error:

D:/Peter/Music/Lilypond/Purcell/VoiceBug.ly:26:7: warning: adding note head to incompatible stem (type = 1/4)
<< {
d1. } \\ {c2 b1 } >> |
D:/Peter/Music/Lilypond/Purcell/VoiceBug.ly:26:7: warning: maybe input should specify polyphonic voices
<< {
d1. } \\ {c2 b1 } >> |

I find this a bit confusing: I thought I was specifying polyphonic voices, and the offending note head is in the voice which isn't being used polyphonically. Obviously I'm doing something a bit wrong, but can't see what it is. Any kind soul able to help me?

The score is below.

Regards,

Peter
mailto:address@hidden