Re: Beam positions and time signature spacing

From: Peter Bjuhr
Subject: Re: Beam positions and time signature spacing
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2013 19:39:50 +0100

On 11/08/2013 05:50 PM, Gilberto Agostinho wrote:
Hi all,

I am not too sure if I do agree with some of the automatic beam position
done by LilyPond, and also by the spacing between a time signature and the
first note. First, about the beams. Here is a little code showing the
problem:

beam.ly <http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n153538/beam.ly>

<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n153538/beams.png>

So as the image above states, I believe that the staff lines should never
appear through the gap of the beams when dealing with 16th notes or shorter.
Does anyone knows if what I am saying here is correct? Could someone check
on Elaine Gould's book, or some other engraving book?

Hi Gilberto!

Gould doesn't settle this but I found a related passage (p. 21). From the examples she gives I would say that she doesn't agree with you...

Here is a scan. Hope it's readable.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B627QNBiKcXpZWd0WjJvZUFhNUk/edit?usp=sharing

Best
Peter