Re: Preventing tempo marks stacking (redux)

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Preventing tempo marks stacking (redux)
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 09:31:57 -0800

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 06:42:53 -0800, Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:

I can never remember the overrides, so I defined the set to space marks as
 \markLengthOn
and got it into LilyPond versions 2.17.19 and later.

Is there some good reason why this is not the default, with \markLengthOff as
the “tweak”?

Probably it could be, but when a user reported that an empty tempo mark in his
score affected page breaking (but not final layout) I got conservative.
See the tortuous history at
 <http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=3279>

For reasons I could never figure out
 <http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=684>
MetronomeMark uses a different interface than the rehearsal marks and bar
numbers.

I’ve asked Janek if he might consider this as a sponsored fix.  =)

Good.  It might best be done by reading the request of an earlier sponsored fix
(issue 684) and checking if everything requested for MetronomeMark could be
handled by the documented 'break-align' interface that RehearsalMark uses (with
different default settings, of course). By my reading, the old interface will
be fine; Daniel Rosen's request on this thread would be handled by putting
'staff-bar' on the list of preferred alignment points for tempo marks.  The
special-case handling of measures with any full-measure rest (in any Voice in
any Staff) seems to have been based on misunderstandings.