Re: Beam positions and time signature spacing

From: Peter Bjuhr
Subject: Re: Beam positions and time signature spacing
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 19:32:57 +0100

On 11/11/2013 12:53 PM, Gilberto Agostinho wrote:

Although I agree with you that these things are important, there are certain
things that could make problems clearer and are not used. Ex: it is not
standard to write a little "8" under the bass clef when dealing with
Contrabass in a non-transposed orchestral score (where tranposing
instruments, such as clarinets and horns, are written in C, but octave
transposing instruments, such as contrabass or piccolo flute stay with their
registers changed). This is my point here: standards. Even if something is
prettier, simpler, nicer, it still shouldn't matter if there is a rule or
standard behind. And I think that LilyPond should output things as close as
possible to these standards, and then let the users who want to change
things use \tweaks and \overrides.

My suggestion would be to follow a set of rules (if they exist), as I
explained above. Gould seems to be a good choice, but of course it would be
possible to have other sources. I just don't believe that we should be doing
these things "by the eye", "because it looks balanced", etc.

Hi again Gilberto,

I have some problems interpreting what the conclusions from your reasoning would be and what it would imply for LilyPond. It would be rewarding for me and perhaps for yourself if you could expand a little on these lines of thought.

If we're all to follow a set of rules there must be a very good reason for them for otherwise people will follow their own subjective ideas and desires. That would apply to legislation as well as other general rules. If you're a smaller group the rules could be somewhat more arbitrary because you could convince people to follow them only to become/stay part of the group.

Gould's reason (even promise) is that if we follow her rules and recommendation the musicians would do a better job at interpreting the score and hence we have better music.

It's also important to remember that the general rules only set the boundaries for our possibilities; we don't spend all our energy just avoiding breaking any laws. We still have to make tons of decisions where the laws can't guide us. We can of course invent some extra rules to make the decisions easier but that would be more on a personal or group level. We wouldn't request that all where to follow these rules.

Applied to music notation I'd like to think that that was what David was referring to when he wrote:

LilyPond should output things as best as possible within
the framework of notation elements.

If we accept Gould as the standard which to follow and if we believe in her promise that musicians will give a better performance, we still have a lot of decisions to make that Gould doesn't settle for us because it isn't her job. But every publishing house can have their own standards and set of rules expanding on the common standard for music notation. And every individual composer and engraver can have their.

Best
Peter