Re: Gmail and quotes

From: James Harkins
Subject: Re: Gmail and quotes
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 15:51:30 +0800

On Nov 14, 2013 2:40 PM, "Helge Kruse" <address@hidden> wrote:

> > This interface "improvement" also effectively enforces top-posting: it takes
> > extra effort to post replies in the middle of quotes (like a conversation)
> > and most people don't care.
>
> I am in the "e-mail world" for some decades. It was always a good
> style to write the answer on top of all other text and to not delete
> anything that has written before. This makes it easy to save one late
> copy of the e-mail conversation and more important to invite more
> people to the conversation by extending the CC list.

I actually don't have a big problem with gmail putting the cursor above the quote (encouraging top-posting). I do have a problem with it hiding the quote, and misleading the user into believing that the recipients will just get the new text. I don't see the benefit of misrepresenting the user's pending action to the user... "Oh, I didn't even see the '...' button, no idea I was sending all that"... Like, let's start making cars without rear-view mirrors because they're confusing to novice drivers.

FWIW, I can tolerate top-posting, though I never really liked it:

- It scrambles the normal order of conversation.
- What's wrong with top-posting?

I've said enough... don't want to drag the list further off topic. Just registering an opinion -- I'll stop here and not add further noise.

hjh