Re: Partial measures (in middle of score)

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Partial measures (in middle of score)
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2013 15:57:47 +0100

2013/11/16 SoundsFromSound <address@hidden>:
> I'm attempting to set a Classical-era piece using LilyPond and I can't figure
> out how to create partial measures in the middle of the score (while also
> avoiding bar check failures).
>
> I can use the partial command at the beginning of my score without issue,
> but when it comes time to put the other "matching" partial measure mid-score
> (before the section repeats back to the beginning), LilyPond gives me bar
> check fails. I've tried using invisible rests, but they put too much
> white-space in the mid-score partial measure it looks odd.

If i understood what you want correctly, then it seems to me that
you're approaching this issue wrongly.
If what you want is a repeated section that has a partial measure at
the beginning, and then ends with a non-full measure that matches that
initial partial measure (and after that repeated section there is
another section starting with an upbeat), you don't have to do
anything special.  Just put repeats in the middle of a measure.

Hopefully this example will clarify what i mean:

% Te Deum prelude

\relative f' {
  \key g \major
  \partial 4
  \repeat volta 2 {
    d4
    g g8 a b4 g
    d'2 b4. b8
    c4 d8 c b c d4
    a8 g a b a4 d,
    g4 g8 a b4 g
    d'2 b4. b8
    c8 d b c a4. g8 g2.
  }
  d'8 c
  b4 g c c8 b
  a4. g8 fis4 b
  a g8 a fis4 b
  % etc...
}

If this is not helpful please send an image of what you want to achieve.

hth,
Janek