Re: emacs and point-and-click configuration in Gnome3

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: emacs and point-and-click configuration in Gnome3
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2014 11:20:16 +0100

2013/12/31 David Kastrup <address@hidden>
>> Configure EDITOR to use emacsclient rather than emacs, and run M-x
>> server-start RET (or do it from .emacs) in the Emacs that is supposed to
>> catch the point-and-click.
>
> Mmmh,  too complicate, I'll set gvim.

Huh?  It's not complicated at all.  It's one

(server-start)

in your .emacs file, and one

export EDITOR=emacsclient

in your .bashrc file.

I should have said that it's easy, but it doesn't work for me.
These are my settings:

$ echo $EDITOR
/usr/bin/emacsclient
$ cat .emacs | grep server
(server-start)

But every time I click on a note on Evince, a new window of Emacs pops up.

> However, it seems to me that the configuration in .bashrc only works for
> URIs opened using gnome-open.
> When I click on Evince, .bashrc is totally ignored

.profile should usually load .bashrc as well and be run on login.

Yes, .bashrc is updated, I can verify it in the terminal.
Evince simply keep opening emacs, even if $EDITOR is set to gvim (or whatever).