Re: Learning LilyPond, comments invited

From: Noeck
Subject: Re: Learning LilyPond, comments invited
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 19:24:54 +0100

Hi Colin,

Am 03.01.2014 15:35, schrieb Colin Tennyson:
> Alex Loomis-2 wrote
>> From what I've seen, \cadenzaOn seems to be the preferred way of writing
>> unmeasured music.
>
> Well, the availability of "\hide \BarLine" and  "\undo \hide \BarLine" is
> relatively recent.
> I think I saw a place where it was described in the v2.17 documentation, but
> not in the v2.16 documentation

But please be aware that hiding just means that the barline is not
visible. It still takes space and the timing is still in place and checked.
To really leave out the barline, you can \omit it (or BarLine.stencil =
##f). Even then this only affects the optical output. And you still have
your 4/4 measure (or what ever) that needs to be satisfied.

\cadenzaOn only affects the timing:
cadenzaOn  = \set Timing.timing = ##f
cadenzaOff = \set Timing.timing = ##t

And I think this what you want.

You don't loose the accidental handling - it is just adapted.
Remembering the accidentals until the barline just does not make sense
without a barline. How long would you like to remember it?

Cheers,
Joram