Re: On features planned for 2.20 and Documentations on Contemporary Musi

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: On features planned for 2.20 and Documentations on Contemporary Music
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2014 06:14:14 -0500

Hi Josh,

> I was wondering if any "examples" of contemporary notation were ever going to
> be put in the documentation. I know there is a spot for that, and when I've
> checked back several stable versions, and alas... nothing.

As others have pointed out, we [the community] need to step up and fill that
gap.

> Perhaps fractional time signatures, like "3/3, or 3/(dotted sixteenth)?”

Here’s something I’ve been using:

\version "2.17"

tsModern =
#(define-music-function
  (parser location dur)
  (ly:duration?)
    #{
      \once \override Staff.TimeSignature #'stencil = #ly:text-interface::print
      \once \override Staff.TimeSignature #'text =
        \markup \override #'(baseline-skip . 0.5) \center-column {
          \number #(number->string (car (ly:duration-factor dur)))
          \note-by-number #(ly:duration-log dur) #(ly:duration-dot-count dur)
#DOWN }
      \time #(cons (ly:moment-main-numerator (ly:duration-length dur))
          (ly:moment-main-denominator (ly:duration-length dur)))
    #})

theMusic = {
 \tsModern 16.*7 R16.*7 |
 \tsModern 4*3 R4*3 |