transposition: entering parts in absolute pitch

From: Tom Yates
Subject: transposition: entering parts in absolute pitch
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2014 12:23:56 +0000 (GMT)

I apologise if this is a FAQ; I've gone back a few months in the archives and can't find anything that seems relevant, and I want to get my head straight before I do any more work on my arrangement.

I'm arranging something for brass band, which means dealing with 22 lines in a variety of transpositions (C, Bb, Eb). To prevent my head exploding, I'm entering all the notes in C (ie, untransposed); what I want to do is print the parts, and perhaps the score, with the relevant transpositions in place. I'm also rendering to midi (as an idiot check) and I want that to work, too.

But the documentation about \transposition says "\transposition should only be used if the pitches are not being entered in concert pitch" [1], and that is the reverse of my problem - I'm entering pitches in concert pitch and wish only to print transposed.

Am I going about this the wrong way? Should I go back and re-enter all my parts in printed (ie, transposed) pitch?

--

      Tom Yates  -  http://www.teaparty.net

[1] http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/displaying-pitches#instrument-transpositions