Issue with autochange, staves and rests

From: muggle
Subject: Issue with autochange, staves and rests
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2014 17:05:04 -0800 (PST)

I get a funny-looking score with my code:

\version "2.16.2"

\header{
  title =  "title"
  subsubtitle = "composer"
}

up = \relative c' {
  \clef treble
  \key c \major
  \time 12/8
R1*12/8 r4. \autochange {\relative {e,16 f g a b c d e f g a b c d r f r a}}
}

down = \relative c {
  \clef bass
  \key c \major
  \time 12/8
c1.
}

\score {
  <<
    \new PianoStaff <<
      \set Score.connectArpeggios = ##t
      \new Staff = "up" \up
      \new Staff = "down" \down

  \layout {
    \context { \Staff \RemoveEmptyStaves
      \override VerticalAxisGroup #'remove-first = ##t }

Basically the second bar is broken when I have that r4. rest. If there are
just notes instead of r4., everything is OK. Is there a way to glue that
stave together?