Re: Experiment with an Alternative Notation for learning Guitar music

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: Experiment with an Alternative Notation for learning Guitar music
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 21:57:59 -0800 (PST)

Philip Rhoades wrote
> The first line spacing looks OK but I want to stack clefs and so I want
> to have the top and bottom notes (ie the "middle" notes between clefs)
> on short lines but Lilypond changes the line spacing when I use the
> second line spacing above ie in this example the distance between the
> short dashed lines that Lilypond puts on the low E and F are are
> narrower than the long line spacing.  I am new to Lilypond so I guess
> there is something obvious I need to do?

Hi Phil,
Sounds like what you're wanting to do is to customize the vertical positions
of the ledger lines (the "short dashed lines").  I've shown how below, and
see the documentation here for more about this:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/modifying-single-staves#index-ledger-lines

Cheers,
-Paul

\version "2.18.0"

\new Staff \with {

  % remaps pitches on the staff to semitones / chromatic scale
  staffLineLayoutFunction = #ly:pitch-semitones

  % reconfigures line pattern of staff
  %  \override StaffSymbol #'line-positions = #'( -1 2 5 8 )
  \override StaffSymbol #'line-positions =
  #'( -2 1 4 7 10 )   % 3 main lines - GOOD
  %       #'(    1 4 7 10 ) % Lilypond putting dashes in the wrong place

  % reconfigure ledger lines to match the staff's line positions
  \override StaffSymbol.ledger-positions = #'(-2 1 4 7 10)

  % keep stems from extending too far
  \override Stem #'no-stem-extend = ##t

  % remove accidentals and clefs
  \remove Accidental_engraver