Re: (no subject)

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: (no subject)
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 09:32:26 -0500

Hi,

> he doesn't want to use a global structure variable:

Sorry… I missed this.  =\

>> The reason I don't like the idea of a global "structure" definition is that
>> I have the individual parts (e.g. the quartet and the choir parts) defined
>> in seperate files to be able to test and work with them independently.

This isn’t an argument against a global structure.

>> Having the \time and \key definitions in a part that is "active" makes a lot
>> more sense to me compared to having them in an otherwise "empty" skeleton.

Well, *that* is an argument against a global structure… but it’s still forcing
a duck (Lilypond) to do a horse’s work.  =)

Believe me, having just engraved over 25 minutes of music for 57 staves (full
orchestra, massed choirs, etc.), and now facing two full stage musicals and a
chamber opera, I know how great it would be if Lilypond put “only those things
there”. I’ve been brainstorming and testing solutions for months. But the best
mechanism I could come up with requires heavy tagging, which ruins the
content-presentation separation — for me, that separation is far more important
than avoiding “an otherwise ‘empty’ skeleton”.

Looking forward to seeing if anyone comes up with a better solution than I was
able to find.

Best,
Kieren.