Re: Updating Snippets in the LSR when versions are updated

From: Philip Rhoades
Subject: Re: Updating Snippets in the LSR when versions are updated
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 13:51:12 +1100

David,

On 2014-01-17 03:12, David Kastrup wrote:
Philip Rhoades <address@hidden> writes:

People,

After being bitten (unnecessarily) by old code in the LSR and having a
continuing argument with David about how it came about - I have to ask
-
is there any reason why all the snippets in the LSR can't be
automatically updated when a new version is introduced?

We don't have control over the users' computers, so we can't upgrade
their LilyPond version ourselves.

I understand that (I am a user) but why is the person who administers the LSR "a user"?

The current Debian stable is at version 2.14.2:
<URL:http://packages.debian.org/source/wheezy/lilypond>

Surely this would not be hard to do?

It isn't.  That's what convert-ly is available for.

If the Guile syntax is changing so often, what is the point of keeping
old code in the LSR?

You mean: LilyPond syntax. The point is supporting all current users of
LilyPond that don't have outdated systems.  The current Debian stable
uses 2.14.

OK, that is a reasonable argument - but like lots of other software, there has to be an EOL - why should the LSR continue to support ancient versions of Lilypond forever at the expense of efficiency for new users and others generally?

It is fair enough to tell people that they have to convert THEIR OWN
code but the people who run the LSR, repo should be responsible for
keeping that up to date . .

The LSR does not differentiate between versions, so it has to provide
stuff working for the oldest stable legitimately in use.

See above.

That's arguably a deficiency.  I am sure that your offers to extend the
LSR code accordingly will be appreciated by the person running the LSR.

I obviously don't understand why the LSR is being run by a "user" who seems to be uncontactable . . why isn't it part of the Lilypond structure proper? I presume there are historical reasons . .

If there is an argument for keeping a snippet in it's original form
because of historical significance or something - an archive could be
kept of it.

Just my 2c . .

That will not buy a lot of code...

Good one!