Re: [Documentation-worthy] Quotes from tagged music expressions

From: Jan Hajic, jr.
Subject: Re: [Documentation-worthy] Quotes from tagged music expressions
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 18:12:34 +0100

> Don't think this will work. As far as I remember quotes, they play a
> music expression and record the resulting events in order to replay them
> when needed. But those recorded events will not get looked at by
> \keepWithTag, so I consider it likely that you always get both versions.

...yes [tested],it gets both << >>-enclosed versions, plus if you
quote from the voice again after quoting the simultaneous part, it
does even weirder things.

The other way round, if the \cueDuring (or \quoteDuring) command
occurs inside such a simultaneous-music expression and quotes a
non-tagged portion of the other instrument, it pretends to work (the
synchronization is not off). But it is definitely a bad thing to do,
since there is no guarantee the region will not get quoted from
elsewhere.

So, what is considered best practice for combining quotes and tags?
Where should the \addQuote commands live? My best guess is that it
should be at the same level where the \score is defined, since that is
the lowest level of abstraction where all tags that influence more
staves have to be known.

JH.